Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1278 Posts in 184 Topics- by 140 Members - Latest Member: yahaabe

December 18, 2018, 08:56:41 AM
Frogames - Official ForumsPenguins ArenaTechnical SupportPenguins Arena - Official FAQ
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Penguins Arena - Official FAQ  (Read 28122 times)
Mathieu
Sedna's friend

I don't like pink.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2007, 08:00:24 PM »

Technical
Reporting bugs.
The game crash or don't even start.
What are the system requirements to run Penguins Arena?
Can't play online? Can't connect to game servers or can't host a multiplayers game?
Penguins Arena seems to run slowly on my computer.
The game eats all my CPU ressources!
Create a dedicated server
Where is the console.log file?

Mac
Audio but no Video
My options aren't saved

Modding
Modding support
What's a custom map?
How-to install a custom map

Others
Registration issues.
How can I save the penguins?

Technical

Reporting bugs
The best way to report us a bug is to email us at contact@frogames.com or post a thread in the Technical Support forums with the following information:
- your configuration (Mac or PC, OS version, machine type...)
- a brief description of the bug
- a screenshot if you feel it's relevant, a step by step procedure to reproduce the problem
- the console.log file

The game crash or don't even start.
Check that your computer meets the minimum requirements to run Penguins Arena.
Make sure that you have the latest video card drivers installed.
Check our website to find if a new version is available.

What are the system requirements to run Penguins Arena?
- You need a modern computer (Mac or PC) with an internet connection to play the game online.
A more detailed system requirement is available on the Penguins Arena webpage.
Note that you will need an internet connection to register the game but you can play it offline after this step.

Can't play online? Can't connect to game servers or can't host a multiplayers game?
- Check if you are using a firewall and (or) a NAT/router. If so you may need to configure them properly to play Penguins Arena over Internet.
Penguins Arena uses ports 28000 through 28002.
If you're behind a firewall you'll need to open this ports (TCP and UDP).
If you are using a router you will need to configure it to forward ports 28000-28002 to your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308127

Penguins Arena seems to run slowly on my computer.
- Updates your video card drivers / change the graphics setting on the Option panel.
Penguins Arena use a solid game engine (Torque Game Engine) who had been tested for years on multiples hardware configurations. It will run perfectly on most (95%) computers but you may have issues on older hardware.

First you'll need to updates your graphic card drivers with the most recent ones.
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/

On Mac you only need to get the most recent update of MacOS X, drivers updates are packaged in it.

If you still having problems getting Penguins Arena to run you can tweak graphic parameters in the Option screen.
Reducing the graphic quality will make the game runs smoother on older hardware.
Lowering screen resolution helps a lot too!
On some configurations running the game in fullscreen is better than in windowed mode.

The game eats all my CPU resources!
- Check V-sync in the Graphic Options panel
V-Sync will synchronize your framerate with the refresh rate of your computer screen. Usually this will decrease the resource usage of the game.

Create a dedicated server
To create a dedicated server on PC use the following command lines:
Code:
PenguinsArena.exe -dedicated -mission starter.fps/data/missions/map01.mis
The dedicated server only works on LAN for the moment.

Where is the console.log file?
On PC: the console.log file is located in the game directory.
On Mac: right click on Penguins Arena application and select "Show contents", the console.log file is located in Contents/Resources/ directory.
Note that every time you launch Penguins Arena the console.log file is replaced by a new one.

Mac

Audio but no Video
Your computer may be trying to play the game at a screen resolution it doesn't support.
Right click on Penguins Arena application and select "Show contents",  find the Contents/Resources/starter.fps/client/pref.cs file, open it with a text editor.

Change these options to the following values:
Code:
$pref::Video::windowedRes = "800 600";
$pref::Video::resolution = "800 600 32";
$pref::Video::fullScreen = "0";

Save the file and restart the game.

My options aren't saved
Make sure you copied the game to your hard drive (preferably in the Applications folder). Do not try to run it from the DMG image.

Modding & custom maps

Modding support
- We are investigating some basic modding support, mods are not supported on the current version of the game.
Those familiar with Torque Game Engine can already take a look at the maps in the data/missions directory.

What's a custom map?
A custom map is a level made by a player of Penguins Arena using the Penguins Arena Map Editor. To join a server who is running a custom map you need to donwload the map and install it in Penguins Arena.

How-to install a custom map
You need to copy the .mis and .ter of the custom map inside /starter.fps/data/missions_modding/ directory.
To acces this folder on Mac you need to right-click Penguins Arena application and select "Show contents".

Others

Registration issues.
After buying the game from our partner Plimus you'll receive a registration key by email (verify that you fill in your email address correctly).
This may take a few minutes but on some rare cases it can take up to 24 hours.
If you didn't receive your registration key makes sure that your spam filter didn't block the email.

Enter this key in the registration screen, the game will be immediately unlocked. You need to be connected to Internet to perform this step.

Contact us if you encounter difficulties to register Penguins Arena.

How can I save the penguins?
- Reduce your energy consumption, be aware, share your vision to friends!
As Penguins Arena theme is related to global warming we worked hard on trying to reduce power consumption of the game. The Intel Laptop Gaming TDK helps us in this way.
The three main features to achieve this goal are the management of screen brightness, the automatic selection of Power Scheme and capping of the framerate. This last feature is available to everybody (not only to Intel laptop users) in the Options panel (VSync parameter).

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 03:43:59 PM by Mathieu » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: